The late Mike Twigg was a former President of the Kingston Horticultural Society. He passed away in October 2004. The Society wanted to honour him by dedicating an award in his name, but he disliked the whole idea of trophies. During his presidency trophies went missing, so he had the great idea of keeping them safe and on display in a central location where the public could view them – at the Isabel Turner Branch of the Kingston Frontenac Public Library. He even built a cabinet for them. Instead of a trophy the Mike Twigg Award is books, which are available at the KFPL.
Every year the Mike Twigg Award is presented for the most points scored in Horticulture in both the Joys of June and Autumn Bounty Fall shows. The award is presented at the November AGM meeting. The award is unusual, in that it is in the form of books that the recipients can enjoy for a month before they are donated to the Kingston Frontenac Public Library, so that anyone can take them out to enjoy.
- Starting Seeds: How to grow healthy, productive vegetables, herbs and flowers from seed by Barbara Ellis (Storey)
- Miniature Bonsai: The Complete Guide to Super- mini Bonsai by Terutoshi Iwai (Tuttle)
- The Urban Gardener by Matt James (Mitchell Beazley)
- Glorious Shade by Jenny Rose Carey (Timber Press)
- Companion Planting by Allison Greer (Skyhorse Publishing)